The GFAA Rules committee is pleased to announce the following changes to the GFAA Rules effective immediately, following IGFA’s acceptance of changes to their rules proposed by GFAA.
Changes – GFAA 2017 Journal
THE FOLLOWING ACTS WILL DISQUALIFY A CATCH:
#2 Add in to follow on from the existing rule.
Holding or touching an angler in a manner that assists them in fighting the fish or takes pressure off the angler. Touching or briefly holding the angler to prevent them from falling does not constitute a disqualification.
(b) Line backing change to Line & Backing.
New 1. The use of backing is permissible.
New 2. The catch shall be classified under the breaking strength of the first five meters of the line directly preceding the double, leader & hook. This section must be comprised of a single homogenous piece of line.
Changes – GFAA Website (www.gfaa.asn.au)
THE FOLLOWING ACTS WILL DISQUALIFY A CATCH
- The act of any person touching any part of the leader when striking or hooking a fish.
- Holding or touching an angler in a manner that assists them in fighting the fish or takes pressure off the angler. Touching or briefly holding the angler to prevent them from falling does not constitute a disqualification.
(b) Line backing
(1. Backing not attached to the fishing line is permissible with no restrictions as to size or material.
- If the fishing line is attached to the backing, the catch shall be classified under the heavier of the two lines. The backing may not exceed the 60kg (130lb) line class and must be of a type of line approved for use in these angling rules.)
- The use of backing is permissible.
- The catch shall be classified under the breaking strength of the first five meters of the line directly preceding the double, leader & hook. This section must be comprised of a single homogenous piece of line.
How it came about
The evolution of these changes emanated from a series of workshops, with input from all states, discussing proposed changes to be submitted at an IGFA Rule Conference held in Orlando Florida in July 2016. Those rule changes that were acceptable to IGFA were put to the Annual General Meeting of GFAA in September 2016 where there was unanimous acceptance of the wording to be referred to IGFA. IGFA President Rob Kramer, who was present at the meeting, undertook to expedite the changes through IGFA. In the past week, these GFAA proposed changes have been approved and adopted by IGFA.
The meeting in Orlando was attended by GFAA President Doug Sanderson and GFAA Life Member and IGFA Trustee Neil Patrick, where they received an excellent hearing with a well organised presentation and were viewed as leaders of change.
Contributors to finalising the changes, along with Doug and Neil, were Peter Babarskas – Chairman of the Rules Committee, Peter Cox – Vice President, Treasurer and Rules Committee Member and Peter Coote – GFAA Secretary.
Please ensure these changes are conveyed to all clubs and affiliated members. Any queries should be directed to Peter Babarskas at email@example.com . Changes in the website will be made immediately, and the 2018 Journal will include the corrections.